Recent Water Damage Posts
Water creeping in your home?
SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange is available 24 hours for emergencies. Do not let the water take over. Give us a call.
What to expect when you call
We understand that you may be feeling confused, stressed and vulnerable when you call us. You need an expert, a professional to guide you through this and that's exactly what we do. When you call our office a SERVPRO representative will ask you a few questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (you do not need a claim number to call)
- When did the damage occur?
- What caused the water damage?
- Is there standing water?
Let us help you in this time of need and ease your mind. Gives us a call today
Basements are prone to flooding for many reasons. It can happen anytime although it usually occurs during a heavy rainfall or snowmelts. Basements are the lowest level of a building and are typically built entirely or partly below ground level.
Reasons for flooded basements vary. It could occur by seepage or flow through the walls or foundation floor, surface water sources, sewer backup or many other reasons.
Gravity always does its magic. if the source of water intrusion is above the basement, it will work its way down.
There are several different circumstances that can result in a flooded basement. If that happens to you, help is a call away.
SERVPRO of Steuben DeKalb and LaGrange counties has trained water damage technicians that can help you every step of the way.
Can I prevent my basement from flooding?
Flooded basements are stressful and chaotic. Although there is no for sure way to guarantee a basement will never flood you can be a proactive homeowner and follow these tips.
- Clean and maintain gutters and downspouts. Make sure your gutters are cleared of debris and downspouts properly positioned away from the foundation. You can always use downspout extensions or troughs if necessary.
- Inspect and repair foundation cracks. Cracks in your foundation act as an open invitation for water.
- Practice proper sump pump maintenance. Check often to make sure your pump is working properly and is plugged in. Maybe have a back up or a generator for when there is no electricity.
- Inspect sewers and clean septic systems. Properly keeping up with these will help prevent havoc from happening.
- Install window well covers. Do you have below grade basement windows? Protect them with window well covers.
If you find water in your basement, please give us a call to help you in the time of need!
A sump pump is a small pump installed in the lowest part of the basement or crawlspace. Its purpose is to keep the area under the building dry and to prevent flooding. They are usually installed to well constructed sump pits. Water flows into the pit by drains or natural water migration through the soil. The pumps job is to pump the water out of the pit and away from the building.
Sump pump failure happens often. Be sure to inspect your pump and make sure it is working properly.
If you find that it has failed, please don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties and let us help you! We strive to help others and ease the stress!