Ask The Experts: What is the water damage response plan?
A sudden water intrusion like a leaking pipe or the breakdown of your water tank can be a sizable inconvenience. However, this inconvenience turns into a substantial loss if not addressed quickly and using the right methods. Hiring trained water restoration technicians (WRT) to come to your home helps you limit the loss and get your home back to normal faster than DIY methods alone.
What is SERVPRO’s Response Plan for Water Damage?
Whenever we get called for water damage restoration, we formulate a plan based on any combination of methods to help us:
- Minimize the need for demolition
- Repair or restore rather than replace
- Create an optimum atmosphere for drying, such as closed drying systems
- Expedite restoration to have you back to your routine fast
So if water damage hits your home or business, give us a call! We are faster to any disaster and are here to get you back to "Like it never even happened."
Ask The Experts: How is the need for demolition determined?
With many water removal projects, demolition is required to remove any wet structural components or wall materials. Controlled or partial demolition efforts allow us to remove and replace just a portion of the materials to have it finished off to match the preloss condition. Our team always uses a variety of non-invasive techniques to ensure no moisture is left behind, including:
- Moisture sensors
- Moisture detectors
- Thermal cameras
Of course, whenever your interior has standing water, we use extraction tools and a combination of methods to facilitate faster removal. Some of the standard options our SERVPRO technicians will use include:
- Submersible pumps
- High-powered extractors
- Draining any trapped water behind walls using bore-holes
- Wet-Vac, and more
Why Should I Have SERVPRO Restore My Carpets?
We are well-versed in best practices for restoring carpeting impacted by water loss within the home. Upon arrival and formulation of our restoration plan, we inspect your carpeting and select the best equipment and methods to achieve our goals. The process includes:
- Inspecting carpeting using moisture probe technology – this allows us to determine how deep the moisture has embedded into the carpet and the pad below.
- Detachment of the carpet with the proper tools so our technicians can further inspect to see if the carpet has delaminated or mold has begun to colonize.
- In cases where the water has not infiltrated the carpet pad or the subfloor below, we may use centrifugal air movers to float the carpet, thus allowing warm air to circulate beneath.
- In cases where water moisture saturates the carpet fully, we will remove the padding below and dispose of it to be replaced after the drying of the zone is complete.
In general, carpet detachment is the fastest way to facilitate drying as it allows air to flow underneath. However, we have some in-place drying methods that will enable us to achieve drying goals without detachment. This may involve using a weighted extractor, or rover, that works from the perimeter inward while drying. In-place drying is ideal when moisture has not made it all the way down to the carpet padding.
What many homeowners may not realize is that there does not have to be extensive water damage for it to add up to an immense loss. There could be hidden moisture left behind in wall cavities and other tight spots that make it difficult for DIY methods to get the job done. SERVPRO features IICRC-certified technicians that have the choice between two distinct systems to ensure your home is back to appropriate humidity levels. These systems include:
- Open Drying System – This works by using outside air to speed up the drying of the impacted area. Warmer months allow us to use an open system for active, time-efficient drying. This method helps to promote evaporation while using equipment like air-movers and box fans to exchange evaporated moisture with drier outside air. We can do this by opening up doors and windows in conjunction with a centrifugal motion to create fluid air movement.
• Closed Drying System – This system works by using dehumidification equipment within a concentrated drying zone for air exchange. Such a method is excellent during times of the year when temperatures are lower, and access to the outdoors is limited. This works on the same principle, yet a closed system gives more control of the temperatures. Higher temps mean the air holds more moisture, and drying is faster. We also use desiccant dehumidifiers within the work zone for moisture removal and to thwart the potential for mold growth.
Give us a call today! We are faster to any disaster and are here to help get you back to "Like it never even happened."
Water Damage Can Be Overwhelming, But SERVPRO Is Here For You!
A water loss incident creates many challenges apart from leaving materials and contents in the house wet. Several approaches can help restore your Steuben, Dekalb or LaGrange property to its preloss state. SERVPRO prefers to use advanced equipment to complete various tasks to ensure the best outcome. Among the sophisticated tools we bring to your loss site are:
- Luminometers and Moisture Meters
- Upholstery Cleaning Machines
- LGR Dehumidifiers
- Stationary and Self-propelled Deep Extractors
When dealing with clean water damage incidents in Steuben, Dekalb or LaGrange, microbes, and contaminants are probably the last things one would think about as a threat. However, various issues, including taking too long before starting the water removal and restoration, can lead to microbial growth. Contaminants can also originate from many areas, including materials dissolved by the spilled water. Having Luminometers on-site helps our SERVPRO technicians test surfaces and water for organic contaminants, though in flash flooding incidents, these are more commonly needed.
Soiled upholstery items require proper cleaning. Water spills can soil upholstery in many ways, including dyes in adjacent contents running or debris swept by the water. Cleaning upholstered furnishings is challenging because of the different materials they are made from and their bulky nature. Our SERVPRO teams overcome this challenge easily by using specialized upholstery cleaning machines, which provide better agitation and rinsing capabilities, cleaning all traces of the soiling.
Proper extraction of water from wet areas is an essential part of the restoration process, though not always easy. Carpeted areas absorb most of the water lengthening the extraction process. Our SERVPRO technicians use weighted tools such as water claws or ride-on high volume extraction rovers to simplify the process. The weight of the equipment or the technician squeezes water from the carpet before the extractor sucks it out. We attempt in place drying whenever possible to salvage the floor coverings. Our crew is well versed in "floating" a carpet, lifting it from the edges to introduce a warm air circulation to expedite evaporation. Then we have advanced dehumidification equipment such as LGR dehumidifiers, which can reduce humidity in the air to as low as 40gpp, improving the drying process.
The right equipment can help ease the restoration of a water-damaged property. Call SERVPRO of Steuben, Dekalb and LaGrange. We have a fully equipped team to tackle any issue, "Like it never even happened."
We Will Help Make Things "Like it never even happened."
Water damage, floods, fires, and mold contamination can occur at any time, sometimes with little notice. We all like to prepare for storms, boarding up windows and moving items to higher ground or placing sandbags. But sometimes all of the preparation is in vain. Now is the time to call in the experts and restore your home or business to its original condition, "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO is locally owned, part of the community of providing flood damage recovery, fire, storm, and mold remediation. We can respond in less than four hours and provide a 24/7 response to our customers. We can respond to small disasters as well as more significant events with the assistance of our four connected locations in the area.
Advantages of Using SERVPRO
Every disaster is different; however, over the years, we have amassed the knowledge, the equipment, and the focus on customer satisfaction to provide high quality, trusted cleaning, remediation, and restoral services to our community. The following are some of the advantages we bring to every disaster situation:
Services for Residences and Commercial Buildings of all Sizes
Water, fire, mold and storm damage restoration
Biohazard remediation and removal
Cleaning and drying of all surfaces
Odor removal and deodorization
Cleaning air ducts, HVAC, Sewage, Carpet and furniture, drapes and blinds and more
Large inventory of air movers,
Extraction equipment – including wands, submersible pumps, truck-mounted pumps
Air purification machines
Moisture sensing devices
Staging areas as needed
Leadership and Training
Locally owned and operated
IICRC trained technicians
We coordinate with contractors to minimize the time and cost required
Certification training for our employees
Continuing education focus
24/7 response to all sizes of disasters
Crew Chief onsite within four hours
Immediate assessment – safety, equipment needs, team members required
Support for insurance claims
Don't see the services you are looking for, call us for a consultation.
Call SERVPRO today!
We Can Help You Make Sure You Are Confident With Your Extinguisher
A portable fire extinguisher can be a life and property saving tool. It is important to know how to use one! The National Fire Association suggests remembering the word PASS.
P- Pull The Pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
A-Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
S- Squeeze. Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
S-Sweep. Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Become familiar with the extinguisher and read the instructions. Also, ensure you have the correct type of extinguisher for your facility.
There are 5 different classes of fire extinguishers. Class A, B, C, D and K. Each one is used for different types of fires.
When Storms Damage Your Belongings, SERVPRO is here for you
Storm and water damage affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
SERVPRO specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a storm event happens, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Pre-loss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most
SERVPRO has the experience, expertise and equipment to make things "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO has the equipment, training, and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a water loss. If is important to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. Technology and equipment must be counted on to perform these services properly. Here are a few tools used by our technicians.
- Moisture Sensors-Used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards, and walls.
- Moisture Meters-Used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture meter provides accurate readings, allowing the SERVPRO of technicians to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers-This is used to measure the temperature and relative humidity. Having this information, allows our technicians the ability to calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying.
- Ultra-Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers-Used to atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard to reach areas.
- Thermal Foggers-Used to dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor-causing particles to deodorize structures, garments, automobiles and other places where cleaning cannot reach.
Call SERVPRO! We have the training and equipment to make it "Like it never even happened." Call us today!
Ask The Experts: How Can I Prevent A Burst Pipe?
Bursting pipes can occur without warning and can devastate homes. It can be easy to feel overwhelmed when an issue suddenly occurs in your home, but knowing what to do if a pipe bursts can help you react in a timely manner.
1. Stop the Flowing Water
A burst pipe can allow huge amounts of water to come into your house in a very short period of time, and more water in your home will likely mean more damage. Using the shutoff valve, which is often located in basements or garages, will turn off the water to your entire house. Other issues may also require you to turn off the water in your home, so it’s generally helpful to know how to cut off the supply of water before any problems arise.
2. Turn Off the Power
The amount of water bursting pipes can bring into the home can create electrical hazards. In order to keep yourself safe and to minimize the risk of an electrical fire, it’s generally wise to turn off the power to your residence. Additionally, it’s often best not to touch any items that use electricity or any electrical outlets even after you have turned off your home’s power.
3. Ask for Help
After the water is no longer flowing into your home and your home no longer has power, it’s often best to contact a plumber and water damage restoration expert. A plumber can fix the broken pipe and can assess your other tubes to make sure they aren’t also at risk of bursting. Restoration specialists can assist you in removing water from your home and can restore personal belongings that were damaged by the water.
It’s often helpful for homeowners to know what to do if a problem such as bursting pipes occurs. Stopping the flow of water, turning off your home’s power and contacting professionals in restoration can help to decrease the cost, time and stress spent dealing with a burst pipe.
Why SERVPRO? Commercial Cleaning
Are you in need of cleaning for a commercial office? Possibly an industrial cleaning services? SERVPRO of Steuben, Dekalb and Lagrange can help. Water damage, mold, asbestos and fire can significantly damage your business, which could leave you feeling hopeless and in need of great help! Do you have grime and odor build up in your restaurant’s kitchen? Has it gotten out of control? No need to fret, whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, or helping with a complete disaster, you can rely on SERVPRO of Steuben, Dekalb and Lagrange to make your workspace or warehouse look its very best.
SERVPRO of Steuben, Dekalb and Lagrange professionals offer cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing bio hazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. As your local franchise we will get the job done right and get it done quickly, because the SERVPRO Advantage includes these benefits:
- Award-winning training
- Over 40 years’ experience in the industry
- More than 100 exclusive cleaning products
When water damages your business, SERVPRO can help!
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large-scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So, when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
We are faster to any disaster and are here to help things "Like it never even happened."