Dangers of Cold Weather
Did you know that in 2015, 2.84 million dollars of property damage was caused by extreme cold weather? That 53 people died and 3 were injured because of cold temperatures?
Two main conditions that you should be aware of are frostbite and hypothermia.
Frostbite happens when your skin is exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Symptoms of frostbite are skin that feels unusually firm, waxy or numbness. Skin that is yellow or greyish in color.
Hypothermia is when your body temperature falls to a very low temperature. This happens when from long exposure to cold weather. Symptoms of hypothermia include exhaustion, shivering, confusion, memory loss, slurred speech, and drowsiness. If a persons body temperature reaches to below 95 degrees seek medical attention immediately.
It is best to stay indoors during extremely cold temperatures to avoid this conditions.
The Do's and Don'ts Following Fire Damage
A fire can cause so many problems. To help avoid even more issues and help for a successful restoration we have a do and don't list for you to follow until SERVPRO professionals arrive.
- To prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet limit movement inside the home.
- Soot on your hands can further soil anything the person touches. Keep hands clean and soot free.
- Place old linens on rugs, upholstery, and traffic areas.
- If there is no electricity, clean out the fridge and freezer and prop doors open
- If the heat if off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilets, and holding tanks to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Tape double layered cheesecloth over registers to prevent any particles of soot from entering or existing the HVAC system.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Don't attempt to shampoo carpets.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that have been stored close to where the fire happened.
- If the ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans.
Mold Safety Tips
Mold can make you uncomfortable, and maybe even a little scared. No worries! We will share with you on what to do until help arrives! If you see visible mold, do not disturb it! If mold is disturbed it can release microscopic spores which become airborne and can circulate in your home.
What you can do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact us for mold remediation service.
What not to do:
- Don't touch or disturb the mold.
- Don't blow across any surfaces with visible mold.
- Don't spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Our crew is highly trained in mold remediation. We use highly specialized equipment and techniques to remove the mold quickly and safely.
Water creeping in your home?
SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange is available 24 hours for emergencies. Do not let the water take over. Give us a call.
What to expect when you call
We understand that you may be feeling confused, stressed and vulnerable when you call us. You need an expert, a professional to guide you through this and that's exactly what we do. When you call our office a SERVPRO representative will ask you a few questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (you do not need a claim number to call)
- When did the damage occur?
- What caused the water damage?
- Is there standing water?
Let us help you in this time of need and ease your mind. Gives us a call today
Basements are prone to flooding for many reasons. It can happen anytime although it usually occurs during a heavy rainfall or snowmelts. Basements are the lowest level of a building and are typically built entirely or partly below ground level.
Reasons for flooded basements vary. It could occur by seepage or flow through the walls or foundation floor, surface water sources, sewer backup or many other reasons.
Gravity always does its magic. if the source of water intrusion is above the basement, it will work its way down.
There are several different circumstances that can result in a flooded basement. If that happens to you, help is a call away.
SERVPRO of Steuben DeKalb and LaGrange counties has trained water damage technicians that can help you every step of the way.
Can I prevent my basement from flooding?
Flooded basements are stressful and chaotic. Although there is no for sure way to guarantee a basement will never flood you can be a proactive homeowner and follow these tips.
- Clean and maintain gutters and downspouts. Make sure your gutters are cleared of debris and downspouts properly positioned away from the foundation. You can always use downspout extensions or troughs if necessary.
- Inspect and repair foundation cracks. Cracks in your foundation act as an open invitation for water.
- Practice proper sump pump maintenance. Check often to make sure your pump is working properly and is plugged in. Maybe have a back up or a generator for when there is no electricity.
- Inspect sewers and clean septic systems. Properly keeping up with these will help prevent havoc from happening.
- Install window well covers. Do you have below grade basement windows? Protect them with window well covers.
If you find water in your basement, please give us a call to help you in the time of need!
A sump pump is a small pump installed in the lowest part of the basement or crawlspace. Its purpose is to keep the area under the building dry and to prevent flooding. They are usually installed to well constructed sump pits. Water flows into the pit by drains or natural water migration through the soil. The pumps job is to pump the water out of the pit and away from the building.
Sump pump failure happens often. Be sure to inspect your pump and make sure it is working properly.
If you find that it has failed, please don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties and let us help you! We strive to help others and ease the stress!
Fire Restoration Process
SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties understands the trauma of Fire Disasters.
We are dedicated to you and follow guidelines to make the restoration process as smooth as we can.
1. A SERVPRO Franchise Professional will contact you within an hour to arrange for service.
2. Within 4 hours, a trained professional will arrive on site prepared to begin emergency mitigation services.
3. The loss site will be reviewed with you., and your questions and concerns addressed.
- Identify the source of loss.
- Identify the source of your concerns.
- Identify the residue present.
- Identify safety issues.
4. A Franchise professional will begin pretesting for restorability from the source of the fire outward.
- What is restorable?
- what methods of restoration will be most effective?
- What items and areas are unaffected?
- What areas need to be reviewed by the adjuster or property owner?
5. The scope of the project will be communicated to you or your adjuster.
6. The structure and contents will be cleaned and restored.
7. After the work has been completed, a final walk through will be conducted with you to help ensure satisfaction.
Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration
Your home contains many of your most valuable possessions. SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange understands the trauma during this challenging time.
One of the first priorities to complete an accurate inventory to help ensure you properly account for all your belongings. We provide a detailed room by room inventory of contents.
When the structure has suffered extensive damage, everything will be relocated for cleaning and stored during repairs.
All of the restorable contents in the affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties offer wet or dry professional cleaning.
Ceilings and walls
We will pre- test the walls and ceilings to analyze the extent of damage. We will reduce the cost of recovery by cleaning off the light soot from walls and ceilings.
Carpet and Floor Restoration
Residue from smoke or soot will settle and can be ground into flooring. SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange has the experience, the equipment and the cleaning products to protect and clean your flooring.
The HVAC system will be inspected to determine if they were affected. A restoration process will be determined to properly clean and deodorize.
We provide specialized services that will rid your home of offensive odors left by smoke damage.
Preparedness For Pets
Do you have pets? Are your pets just as important as a family member? Did you know there are several things you can do to make sure they stay safe during an emergency.
*Make sure you have at least a 3 day supply and store it in an airtight, waterproof container.
*Have at least 3 days of water stored for your pet.
* Make their medicines and medical records accessible in case of an emergency.
*Make sure you have important papers such as registration papers, adoption papers and vaccination documents.
*First aid kit that includes bandage rolls and tape, scissors, antibiotic ointment, latex gloves, flea and tick prevention, isopropyl alcohol, saline solution and a pet first aid reference book.
*Collar or harness with ID tags.
*A picture of you with your pet in case of separation.
*Familiar items such as toys and bedding.
Keep your pets safe by following these prep tips. You can also visit Ready.gov/pets for more information.