Recent Storm Damage Posts
Frozen Weather Brings Frozen Pipes
When the temperatures are below zero, it is possible for your pipes to freeze. Frozen pipes can create a massive water damage in your home if the pipe breaks. If you experience this please give us a call. A few things you can do to help prevent frozen pipes are:
- Drain water from sprinkler supply lines.
- Remove, drain and store hoses used outdoors
- Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs
- Add insulation to attics, basements, and crawl spaces
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas
- consider installing products made to insulate pipes such as pipe sleeves
- consider relocating exposed pipes to provide increased protection from freezing
If you have a water damage please give us a call. We are faster to any disaster and are ready and waiting to put our expertise, equipment and experience to work for you!
SERVPRO Tips: Why Board Ups Are So Important
SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange offers board ups. Whether a tree fell on your house and created an opening in your roof or a window was shattered, or maybe you had a fire, it is important to board up the opening. Secondary damage caused by not boarding up an opening is very likely.
It is important to board up in a correct way so you do not do anymore damage to a structure. We have an in house contractor who can scope the situation and provide a board up that is accurate to your damage.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or help we could provide, we would love to help.
So give us a call! We are faster to any disaster in Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange Counties and are ready to put our equipment, expertise and experience to work for you!
SERVPRO Tips: The Important Role Your Sump Pump Plays
Sump pumps keep your basement dry. The sump pump will remove the unwanted water from the structure. Sump pumps are a great solution except for when the power goes out. When a storm hits the loss of power can be a significant issue for the homeowner or business owner. One way you can help prevent your sump pump from losing power is with a battery back up. This will make a significant difference on if your building or home will flood.
If you lose power and do not have a battery back up for your sump pump and are flooded please give us a call. We are here to help. We are faster to any disaster and are ready to put our experience, expertise and equipment to work for you!
SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange
SERVPRO can help you recover after a storm
Flooding that occurs as a direct result of structural breaches caused in a storm can become a challenging obstacle for homeowners to restore. While many property owners in the area have invested in forms of flood insurance through their home coverage providers, many of these plans and policies do not cover flooding that can occur from pooling water resulting from wind-driven rain or roof vulnerabilities.
Pre-existing conditions and present weaknesses in structural elements of your property can be enough to reduce or remove coverage for storm flood damage in houses. It is essential to know the extent of your policy before you need to delve too deeply into the fine print. Our SERVPRO professionals have become a preferred restoration vendor for many insurance companies in the area, allowing us to arrive and begin evidence and documentation collection to make the claims process as efficient as possible.
Wind-driven rain is a phenomenon in which the severe conditions of the storm can force water into your home through vulnerabilities like missing shingles, broken windows, or damaged siding. Because of how critical these conditions can become when repairs are necessary, and another storm passes through, it is vital to consider not only a team that can help you to dry and protect your investment but also repair any structural damages to the property as well. We have a full team of licensed general contractors that can help with many tasks after severe weather events, including board up and tarping, tree removal, temporary fencing, and eventual full-scale reconstruction.
Addressing the pooling water in the exposed areas of your household falls to the capable functions of our electric sump pump, wet vacuums, and a combination of air movers and dehumidifiers. Working as quickly as possible to dry out the affected region of the house reduces the need for controlled demolition and build back.
Many homeowners are unfamiliar with loopholes and shortcomings in their insurance plans that can have them paying out of pocket for restoration after severe storms. Whether you need help after a disaster strikes or want to repair vulnerable areas of your home before wind-driven rain can flood your residence, our SERVPRO team can help. Give us a call anytime!
When Storms Damage Your Belongings
Storm and water damage affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
SERVPRO specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a storm event happens, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Pre-loss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most
SERVPRO Tips: Preparing Your Vehicles For Snow & Cold
We have all been there, its's cold and snowing and you are having car problems. Follow these tips to help prepare yourself and your car for a winter storm.
- Start to prepare your car before Thanksgiving. It's easy to do it before it gets cold and snowy. Better too soon than too late.
- Check the tire pressure at least once a month through the winter. As it gets colder outside the air molecules get smaller and tire pressure goes down. Low tire pressure will make your car under preform. You can find the suggested PSI (pounds per square inch) on your tires or on inside the drivers' side door jam.
- Have your battery tested. Nothing is worse than a dead battery when your freezing, not home or late for work. Also, make sure you have jumper cables in case you or someone you come across need them.
- Check your windshield for cracks and make sure you have good windshield wipers. The cold can make your windshield crack and obstruct your vision. Bad wipers can cause all sorts of problems and are an easy fix.
- Inspect your headlights and brake lights. If its storming or dark your car can become very hard to see and cause an accident.
- Make sure you have warm clothes, proper winter shoes, and a blanket in your car in case you get stuck in traffic or your car breaks down. This could save your life
- ALWAYS make sure you have a couple of water bottles in your car somewhere. No matter the time of year this could save your life or someone else's.
Follow these tips and you will be prepared for those winter storms that are bound to hit.
If disaster strikes during the cold winter months, give us a call! We are faster to any disaster and are ready to make things "Like it never even happened."
Check out our reviews and other information on Google, Facebook, Yelp, and the Better Business Bureau.
Dangers of Cold Weather
Did you know that in 2015, 2.84 million dollars of property damage was caused by extreme cold weather? That 53 people died and 3 were injured because of cold temperatures?
Two main conditions that you should be aware of are frostbite and hypothermia.
Frostbite happens when your skin is exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Symptoms of frostbite are skin that feels unusually firm, waxy or numbness. Skin that is yellow or greyish in color.
Hypothermia is when your body temperature falls to a very low temperature. This happens when from long exposure to cold weather. Symptoms of hypothermia include exhaustion, shivering, confusion, memory loss, slurred speech, and drowsiness. If a persons body temperature reaches to below 95 degrees seek medical attention immediately.
It is best to stay indoors during extremely cold temperatures to avoid this conditions.