Recent Fire Damage Posts
The Right Fire Damage Equipment
SERVPRO understands that using professional equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. Our employees are trained to understand the different types of smoke and their behavior. This is vital to proper restoration.
Wet Smoke- plastics and synthetics; low heat, smoldering, sticky and smeary
Dry Smoke- paper and wood; fast burning, high temperatures, dry, powdery
Protein- virtually invisible, discolors paints, extreme pungent odor
Fuel Oil Soot-furnace puff backs
Other types- tear gas, fingerprint powder, and fire extinguisher residue.
We also use professional deodorization equipment
Ultra Low Volume Foggers- will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that easily penetrates sites where odor-causing residues accumulate. The device can also be used to apply fungicides and disinfectants.
Thermal Foggers- Dispense solvent based products in large volume, dense fog suitable for confined areas. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that pair with and neutralize odor-causing particles.
The Do's and Don'ts Following Fire Damage
A fire can cause so many problems. To help avoid even more issues and help for a successful restoration we have a do and don't list for you to follow until SERVPRO professionals arrive.
- To prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet limit movement inside the home.
- Soot on your hands can further soil anything the person touches. Keep hands clean and soot free.
- Place old linens on rugs, upholstery, and traffic areas.
- If there is no electricity, clean out the fridge and freezer and prop doors open
- If the heat if off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilets, and holding tanks to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Tape double layered cheesecloth over registers to prevent any particles of soot from entering or existing the HVAC system.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Don't attempt to shampoo carpets.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that have been stored close to where the fire happened.
- If the ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans.
Fire Restoration Process
SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties understands the trauma of Fire Disasters.
We are dedicated to you and follow guidelines to make the restoration process as smooth as we can.
1. A SERVPRO Franchise Professional will contact you within an hour to arrange for service.
2. Within 4 hours, a trained professional will arrive on site prepared to begin emergency mitigation services.
3. The loss site will be reviewed with you., and your questions and concerns addressed.
- Identify the source of loss.
- Identify the source of your concerns.
- Identify the residue present.
- Identify safety issues.
4. A Franchise professional will begin pretesting for restorability from the source of the fire outward.
- What is restorable?
- what methods of restoration will be most effective?
- What items and areas are unaffected?
- What areas need to be reviewed by the adjuster or property owner?
5. The scope of the project will be communicated to you or your adjuster.
6. The structure and contents will be cleaned and restored.
7. After the work has been completed, a final walk through will be conducted with you to help ensure satisfaction.
Fire, Smoke and Soot Restoration
Your home contains many of your most valuable possessions. SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange understands the trauma during this challenging time.
One of the first priorities to complete an accurate inventory to help ensure you properly account for all your belongings. We provide a detailed room by room inventory of contents.
When the structure has suffered extensive damage, everything will be relocated for cleaning and stored during repairs.
All of the restorable contents in the affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties offer wet or dry professional cleaning.
Ceilings and walls
We will pre- test the walls and ceilings to analyze the extent of damage. We will reduce the cost of recovery by cleaning off the light soot from walls and ceilings.
Carpet and Floor Restoration
Residue from smoke or soot will settle and can be ground into flooring. SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange has the experience, the equipment and the cleaning products to protect and clean your flooring.
The HVAC system will be inspected to determine if they were affected. A restoration process will be determined to properly clean and deodorize.
We provide specialized services that will rid your home of offensive odors left by smoke damage.