What Shouldn't I Do After A Fire?
Ask The Experts: What Shouldn't I Do After A Fire A fire can cause so many problems. To help avoid even more issues and help for a successful restoration we have a do and don't list for you to follow until SERVPRO professionals arrive.Do
- To prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet limit movement inside the home.
- Soot on your hands can further soil anything the person touches. Keep hands clean and soot free.
- Place old linens on rugs, upholstery, and traffic areas.
- If there is no electricity, clean out the fridge and freezer and prop doors open
- If the heat if off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilets, and holding tanks to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Tape double layered cheesecloth over registers to prevent any particles of soot from entering or existing the HVAC system.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Don't attempt to shampoo carpets.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that have been stored close to where the fire happened.
- If the ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans.