Winter heating hazards
50 % of all residential heating-related fires are reported during the months of December, January and February. According to the National Fire Protection Association heating equipment fires cause an estimated $1 billion in direct property damage annually. Follow some of these tips to help reduce your risk of a heating related fire.
- Keep anything flammable at least 3 feet away from any heating equipment
- Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to keep sparks from flying
- turn off portable heaters before leaving the room or going to bed
- always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Test smoke alarms monthly
If your property does suffer fire damage contact us here at SERVPRO of Steuben, DeKalb and LaGrange counties to help make it "Like it never even happened."